Gallardo still mulling Classic

I had a chance to talk with right-hander Yovani Gallardo today about his upcoming decision about the World Baseball Classic, and he’s torn. On one hand, he wants badly to represent his country. On the other, he had two knee surgeries last year and missed much of the season with a torn right ACL.

Rosters must be set by Feb. 24, and it sounded to me like Gallardo is leaning toward passing on the tournament. You can decide for yourself by reading his comments:

“Obviously, my main focus is to pitch the whole year for the Milwaukee Brewers,” Gallardo said Sunday, when Brewers pitchers and catchers went through their first workout at Maryvale Baseball Park.

“It is tough,” he added. “The opportunity to go out there and play for your country, I’ve never had that opportunity. But from here on out, I have to think of what’s best for myself and [the Brewers].

On a sit-down with club officials that will probably take place this week:

“It’s one of those things that we’re going to have to sit down and discuss,” Gallardo said. “Being hurt last year, it’s one of the things I think about most. I’ll have answer here in the next week or so. It’s a difficult decision.”

On a side note, it appears that Brewers pitcher Mark DiFelice and catcher Vinny Rottino will be the starting battery for Italy’s World Baseball Classic opener against Venezuela. 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 83 other followers

%d bloggers like this: