The Brewers are expanding the Retro Friday promotion to “Retro Weekends” in 2010, part of a year-long campaign to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the franchise’s 1970 move from Seattle to Milwaukee.
The team will host four Retro Weekends, one for each decade of Brewers baseball. On the first three Fridays, Brewers players will wear retro uniforms from each era, and on all four Sundays the team will give away a bobblehead doll representing a great moment in the club’s history.
Along the way, Brewers players will wear special 40th anniversary season patches throughout the season and Brewers fans will have the opportunity to vote for the best moments in team history in a “40 Years/40 Moments” campaign being coordinated in partnership with FOX Sports Wisconsin, Brewers.com and the team’s flagship radio station.
More information about voting program will be announced in April. For now, the team released details for the four Retro Weekends:
1970s Retro Weekend
May 14- 16 vs. Phillies
– May 14: Brewers to wear reproductions of the home 1972-77 uniforms with “BREWERS” in royal blue block letters on the front of the jerseys and the yellow “M” logo on the cap. The Phillies will be wearing light blue uniforms worn on the road throughout most of the 1970s. Alumni Gorman Thomas and Jim Colborn are scheduled to attend and participate in a pre-game autograph session.
– May 16: All Fan Bobblehead Giveaway, courtesy of the Milk Marketing Board, is Hank Aaron hitting his 755th and final home run as a member of the Brewers.
1980s Retro Weekend
June 25-27 vs. Mariners
– June 25: Brewers to wear reproductions of the home 1978-89 uniforms. The uniform is highlighted by pinstripes with “BREWERS” block letters on the front and a “ball and glove logo” hat. The Mariners will be wearing light blue uniforms worn on the road from 1981 to 1984. Alumni Robin Yount and Paul Molitor are scheduled to attend and participate in a pre-game autograph session.
– June 27: All Fan Bobblehead Giveaway, courtesy of RedPrairie, is Cecil Cooper’s base hit to drive home the tying and winning runs in Game Five of the 1982 American League Championship Series.
1990s Retro Weekend
July 23-25 vs. Nationals
– July 23: Brewers to wear reproductions of the home 1997-99 uniforms. The jersey has “BREWERS” in block letters on the front, while the cap features an “MB” logo. The Nationals will be wearing their current uniforms. Alumni Greg Vaughn and Jeff Cirillo are scheduled to attend and participate in a pre-game autograph session.
July 25: All Fan Bobblehead Giveaway is Yount recording his 3000th career base hit.
2000s Retro Weekend
Aug. 27-29 vs Pirates
– Aug. 27: Brewers and Pirates to wear current uniforms. Alumni Geoff Jenkins and Bob Wickman are scheduled to attend and participate in a pre-game autograph session.
– August 29: All Fan Bobblehead Giveaway, courtesy of Palermo’s, is CC Sabathia securing the final out of the final regular season, playoff-clinching game in 2008.
The 2010 season is actually the 42nd in franchise history and the 41st season of Brewers baseball. But it marks the 40th anniversary of the team’s April 1970 move from Seattle to Milwaukee.