Red Sox, Dempster reportedly “serious”
A source told FoxSports.com workhorse Ken Rosenthal that the Red Sox and right-handed free agent Ryan Dempster were in “serious talks” about a contract. Rosenthal, via Twitter, cautioned that no deal was in place, and said Dempster could still sign with another of his suitors, which have included the Royals and Brewers.
Dempster’s agent, Craig Landis, was seeking a three-year contract at last week’s Winter Meetings, and so far no reports have surfaced of a team going three tears. The Royals reportedly offered two years before the Winter Meetings and the Red Sox have offered two years, too. Brewers general manager Doug Melvin, who met with Landis in Nashville, has not acknowledged making any firm offers to free agents, and when I last spoke to him on Monday afternoon, Melvin hadn’t spoken to any representatives for free agent starters to reassess their asking prices in light of Zack Greinke’s agreement with the Dodgers.
So, it remains quiet on the Brewers’ front for now.
Here’s a crazy thought: Is that such a bad thing? What if, instead of committing two or three years to a 35-year-old Dempster, the Brewers gamble on the young arms that lifted them into Wild Card contention last August and September? If it doesn’t work out, Milwaukee would be in good financial position to enter next winter’s free agent market, which could include (depending on options, in some cases) the likes of Chris Capuano, Chris Carpenter, R.A. Dickey, Matt Garza, Roy Halladay, Dan Haren, Phil Hughes, Josh Johnson, Jon Lester, Tim Lincecum, Wandy Rodriguez, Ervin Santana, Johan Santana, James Shields and Edinson Volquez.
Just a thought while we watch the Dempster drama play out.
Follow me on Twitter @AdamMcCalvy